Thursday, June 25, 2009

It's Like Licking the Center First...

I'll take one oreo, covered in cream cheese... fit only for a queen.


My sister gave me a new cookbook for my birthday... The Martha Stewart Cupcake Book. As I was flipping through the pages, I immediately knew which project would be my first. The Cookies and Cream Cupcake... I figured anything with Oreo's has got to be good. And there were minor ingredients and instructions so I figured it wouldn't be too hard.


Preparation time was about 10-15 minutes... here is what the project looked like before I put them in the oven... already looking good enough to eat!

The result... they did look just like their pictures!  As far as taste goes... very, VERY good!  The taste is very strong.  You will want to make sure that you are a cheesecake fan because they taste like mini cheesecakes.  The oreo on the bottom serves as a perfect crust... and a nice surprise!  I used double stuff oreos because I love the cream center.
These are best served when chilled... and I imagine they would be even better with a little whip cream on top!  A great dessert with a classic cookie!
Now remember, dear followers of this blog... Each week to avoid gaining calories, as well as high blood sugar, I will be delivering these tasty treats to my friends, family, neighbors, and followers of the blog.  I will be revealing cute and fun ways to wrap these delectable treats up.  This week, my dear friend Marlene will be the first recipient of the "dessert queen's" treats.  She made me a cake a while back and I have yet to return the plate.  I always like to return plates with something yummy on top!

You’ll need:

  • 30 whole sandwich cookies
  • 12 coursely chopped sandwich cookies
  • 2 pounds of cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 teaspoons large eggs, room temp, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • pinch salt

Then you:
Preheat oven to 275 degrees, line pan with paper liners. Place one whole cookie in the bottom of each lined cup.
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat cream cheese until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Gradually add sugar, beat until combined. Beat in vanilla.
Drizzle in eggs, a bit at a time, beating to combine and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in sour cream and salt. Stir in cookies by hand.
Divide batter evenly among cookie-filled cups, filling each almost to the top. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until filling is set, about 22 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack to cook completely. Refrigerate, in pan, at least 4 hours (or up to overnight.) Remove from pan just before serving.

Things I learned from this recipe...
* Buy two packages of Oreo's (or chocolate cream cookie of your choice).  I learned that when it says in the recipe you will have enough for 30 cupcakes, it wasn't lying.  And unfortunately for me, one package of Oreo's is not enough.

*Plan ahead... this is not a dessert that can be eaten right away.  After it bakes it needs to go in the fridge for at least 4 hours... or even over night (which is what I did).  These are not the "whip it up in a hurry kind of dessert).

* Make sure you have enough room in your fridge as the cupcakes need to go in your fridge, still in the cupcake tins.

All in all, this was a pretty simple dessert to make.  Preparation time was about 10-15 minutes, with mild clean up.

Martha, I think I am catching up with you...

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, I am so excited about this blog. I hope to one day be a recipient of your special desserts! :) I am glad that you are getting use out of your new cook book! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh im so excited to watch you do this you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Yummy! I will try this recipe soon!
    You are such a great dessert maker! Hmmm, I wonder who you got it from!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last comment was from your mom! I guess Amy's blog was on my computer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy!!! Those look so delicious!!!! I love this idea. Cutest blog ever!

    ReplyDelete