Friday, July 10, 2009

Cover them once, not so good... cover them twice, better!

Oreo, oreo, oreo... so many options for the oreo... You might be asking why I chose to do another Oreo recipe... well, I found this one in my Better Homes and Garden magazine... I had a busy week, so I wanted something that was easy.  Sometimes even the Queen needs a break... and with only three ingredients.. what's so hard about an oreo truffle?  The queen soon finds out the answer... everything...

Recipe first...

1 pkg. (1 lb. 2 oz.) OREO Cookies, finely crushed, divided
1 pkg.  (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
2 pkg. (8 squares each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted
MIX 3 cups of the cookie crumbs and the cream cheese until well blended. Shape into 42 (1-inch) balls.
DIP balls in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover melted chocolate can be stored in tightly covered container at room temperature and saved for another use.) Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs.
REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm. Store any leftover truffles in tightly covered container in refrigerator.


Here are the truffles after they were mixed with the cream cheese... so far so good...

First thing I wish I knew before making this recipe:

* How to dip the truffles... the recipe just simply says, "Dip truffles in melted chocolate."  Easy enough right... wrong!  Here is where all my problems started... the white chocolate was very hard to work with... the oreo crumbs would break off into the white chocolate, causing it to not be so white and pretty... the oreo's also gave the white chocolate a rough texture... they did not turn out like smooth white ball shapes.
Second: To try and smooth them out, I decided to refrigerate the truffles before dipping them in chocolate... to try and harden them up a little more... still didn't work.  Then I tried to cover them in milk chocolate instead... to try and hide the flaws... that worked a little better...
Third: This was a very MESSY recipe... messy, like chocolate messy.  My hands were gooey, they were covered in chocolate... it was sticky... it might sound like an easy recipe to do with kids... but I don't think so!
That is why the queen says, "Always wear your best apron."
Fourth: Due to the trial and tribulations of this recipe... it was not simple... and it took a lot of time.  Luckily, it was one of those recipes that I just kept sticking in the fridge, and coming back to later.
Fifth: What finally worked... what finally made these truffles good enough to eat.... are you ready?  Double Dipping.  Yup... I had to double dip these suckers.  I dipped them once, you saw the picture (not so good)... in a frustrating move, I stuck them in the fridge over night and came to my senses this morning.  I took the truffles out and shaped them... I had to shave off some of the chocolate coating... it was work... then I double dipped... I could see that they were going to be A LOT better... they looked more white... and more round.  Success at last!  I double dipped, stuck them back in the fridge for an hour and "ta-dah!!!!!"  They finally are fit for the queen!
Prep Time for this recipe... after all of that perfecting... for me: 36 hours. For you: 3 Hours
Clean Up Time: 15 minutes

Well... here is one recipe that still needs perfecting... but whether they look good enough to eat or not... I think the Queen likes them!  And here's the thing... they pass the taste test... these are tasty little treats!  Now that I know how to do them correctly, I will definitely make them again!  Martha always says... "practice makes perfect." (I think)

1 comment:

  1. Those look so yummy! It sounds like you went through a ton of work! I still need to try your cookies'n'cream cupcakes, those looked delicious as well! Love the different desserts, this blog is so fun!
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete