Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Queen and her Men...

NieNie's Mud Cake Magnifique

This recipe comes from one of my favorite blogs... Conversations with a Cupcake.  I am an avid reader of the Nie Nie Dialogues... and when I saw this cake, I knew I had to try it.  I am always nervous when I think about making cake from scratch (and not from the ole' cake box stand-by)... but I am very glad I tried it, because I learned so much!  And as always, the cake looks like its fit for a Queen... whether at the ball or bbq... it looks like a scrumptious dessert.

And check out the ingredients... if you could die for chocolate, this is the cake for you.  I always tell my husband.. if you ever feel like you are in trouble, or trying to make up for something... all I need is a diet coke, or a chocolate bar...
8 oz. unsweetened chocolate (8 squares)
¾ c. olive oil
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 c. powdered sugar
½ tsp. salt
½ c. cocoa powder
1 c. flour
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. baking powder*
½ tsp. baking soda
In a microwave, melt squares of chocolate with olive oil. Once melted, beat until smooth then add sugars and egg. Beat again until well creamed. Add remaining ingredients. Beat just until all ingredients are incorporated. (If you are baking BELOW 5000 feet altitude, double baking powder and add an additional 1/2 cup of flour). Pour batter into two 9-inch cake pans that have been generously greased & dusted with cocoa powder. Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 26-28 minutes, or just until center of cake springs back to the touch. Remove from oven. Allow to cool before inverting on a cooling rack and removing from pan. Before layering cake, use a knife to gently cut away any uneven parts at the top or sides of the cake. You'll want a nice, even surface to begin with in order to have your finished product look amazing.
*

Mascarpone Mousse
1 c. whipping cream
¼ c. sugar
1 c. 60% Bittersweet cacao chips
8 oz. mascarpone

In a large bowl, whip whipping cream until fluffly. Add sugar & mascarpone and whip until smooth. In a small bowl, melt chocolate chips in microwave, stirring every thirty seconds until smooth. Chocolate should not be warm to the touch, if it is, allow it to cool just slightly before spooning the melted chocolate into the whipping cream mixture & beating until light and fluffy. Spoon carefully atop one layer of cake. Spread evenly, then top with the second layer of cake. Refrigerate until ready to frost.
Bittercream Frosting
1 pint heavy cream
11.5 oz. 60% Bittersweet cacao chips
½ c. butter
4-5 c. powdered sugar

In a medium saucepan, melt chocolate chips and heavy cream until a thick, smooth ganache forms, to keep the mixture from burning, stir constantly. Put in fridge until chilled. Remove from fridgidaire and beat in butter & powdered sugar until frosting is a spreadable consistency. Frost. Chill cake. To serve, remove from fridge 10-15 minutes before serving.

There was a ton of frosting left... so I decided to make this cake look fancy with my awesome frosting tool...
And don't you think flowers just give it the right touch?  I love the red gerber daisy's with the green cake pan... I think it looks awesome.

What I learned from this recipe:
I had a hay-day trying to find the "Mascarpone" frosting, but when I found it, I was very glad I did.  This is the reason I did this blog... to find out about ingredients that I didn't know existed.  I wasn't sure where to find it, but was glad to find it in the "fancy cheese" section of the local Smith's... and what was even better, was it was only $4.  I will definitely use this ingredient again... to give you a hint as to what it is... on the box it says, "Fancy Italian Cream Cheese."  Yum!

This cake may look like a process... and that's because it sort of is... I probably spent about 2 to 2 1/2 hours making this cake... because you basically have to make three separate things.

Also, it passed the taste test of my husband, (who doesn't usually like anything chocolate) and my brother, Tyler, (who doesn't usually like anything dessert)... so it's a winner and something I would for sure make again for any type of dinner party.  I also think it is served great with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.  The chocolate was a little strong for me, so that helped balance it out!

The Queen and her men liked it.... I think you will too!


1 comment:

  1. Looks Yummy! You will have to make it again here in CA so we can all try it! I love the flowers too, so cute.

    ReplyDelete